Usage Guidelines for Staff
If needs be, you may contact me, Paul Barry, at the following e-mail address: email@example.com.
- When you connect to the server, you are accessing a Linux system.
- To change your password, use "Secure Shell" to communicate with the server (glasnost.itcarlow.ie) then log-in with your current user-id and password. When the prompt appears (it will look something like this: [user@glasnost user]$, where 'user' is your user-id), type the 'passwd' command to request a change of password. Follow the instructions on screen, entering your current password, then your new password (which the computer will ask you to enter twice, for confirmation.). If a message appears relating to 'all tokens updated successfully', then your password has been changed. Press the Ctrl and D keys together to logout.
- Create your web-pages in HTML (in whatever tool you choose), then "secure copy" the pages to the server. A good secure copy program for Windows is WinSCP. Search Google for "Download WinSCP" to find it.
- Make sure the first page of your web-site is called 'index.html'.
- Put the web-pages you want visible into your 'public_html' directory. You can create subdirectories underneath this directory if you so wish. You can also create CGI's in this directory, just make sure they are set to executable. (Type 'man chmod' at the Linux prompt for help with this).
- You are responsible for your own backups - I do not intend to take any!!!
- No commercial stuff on the server. If you wish to provide access to any commercial activity, please pay for this at an ISP.
- Note that I'm very busy and will not take kindly to silly questions (especially if the answer is on this page).
- You are solely responsible for your own content, I merely provide the platform. So no one is allowed to sue me (nor the Institute) over your content.
- There are no plans to provide the student population with access to this server (for their web-pages), so please don't ask me to do this.
- Have fun.
Do not call me on the telephone in relation to this service - e-mail all requests/comments/issues/etc., etc., to me and I'll respond to you as soon as I am able. Note that I'm providing this service on a voluntary basis. Also, note that I'm not available to answer any questions you may have on using HTML (although for 100 Euros an hour, I can be!!!). There are plenty of good books and web-sites on how to create web-pages.
Return to the main page.